ACADIANA PARROT HEAD CLUB BYLAWS
Article I - General
A. Name: The organization shall be called the Acadiana PHC.
B. Purpose: The purpose of the organization is to promote the Acadiana Parrot Head Club as a humanitarian group sharing community and environmental information for majority approved mutual benefits. The organization will engage in activities which are charitable, educational, high spirited, and promote the general welfare of the community.
C. Statement of Purpose: Acadiana PHC is a not for profit organization dedicated to preserving and improving the environment, active in community oriented projects and concerns as a means of social interaction with like minded people interested in the lifestyle and music of Jimmy Buffett and a tropical spirit.
D. DISCLAIMER: The terms Parrot Head, Parrothead and Parrot Head Club are all trademarked by Jimmy Buffett and should not be used in commerce. We are permitted to use these terms in our logos and on club merchandise as long as this merchandise is not made available to anyone other than a Parrot Head Club member. We are neither associated with nor allowed to solicit donations from any of Mr. Buffett's entities including, but not limited to, HK Management, Margaritaville Stores and Cafes, Lulu's Homeport Marina, Margaritaville Hotels, Casinos, Bars, Restaurants or any of his Record Companies. Any contact with Mr. Buffett's holdings is only done though a representative of Parrot Heads in Paradise
Clubs are allowed to use the term "Parrot Head" on t-shirts, etc., but NOT Jimmy Buffett's name.
Article II - Membership and Dues
A. Club Membership: Membership in Acadiana PHC shall be open to all, regardless of sex, creed, national origin or sexual preference. A member will be considered in good standing so long as his dues are current.
B. Dues: The annual dues of Acadiana PHC will be as follows:
1. The annual non-refundable dues year will run continuous with one year enrollment starting on July 1st. Dues will be pro-rated as follows: 100% dues in the months July, Aug. & Sep., 75% dues in the months of Oct., Nov. & Dec., 50% dues in the months of Jan., Feb. & Mar., 25% dues in the months of Apr., May & Jun.
2. Dues renewals are due not later than the end of the first month following each dues cycle.
3. Membership renewal notices will be mailed in the month prior to renewal.
4. Membership will entitle a member to an Acadiana PHC identification, and receipt of the Club newsletter.
5. An individual member is considered to be one adult head of household at a single address. A family is considered to be up to two adults and any dependent children living at a single address.
C. Denial of Membership: The Executive Board may deny membership in Acadiana PHC to any person whom the Executive Board determines by a unanimous vote does not meet the requirements for membership.
D. Conduct: All members agree to recognize and adhere to the attached "Code of Conduct". Infractions to the "Code" are subject to actions as stated in Section VI.B.
Article III - Meetings
A. Social Meetings: The Club shall attempt to schedule at least one social event each month. These events will normally include some type of charity fund raising event.
B. Business Meetings: General Business Meetings will occur at least every other month. These meetings will be conducted by the Club President or in his absence, a designated member of The Executive Board. Any member in good standing may attend the business meeting and will conduct themselves in a professional manner or be asked to leave the meeting. All club decisions at the business meeting will be by a simple majority vote of those present. Minutes will be taken at all meetings and reported out at the following meeting. All meetings will be held within the geographical boundaries of the club.
C. Executive Board Meetings: The Board will meet on an as needed basis, at least semi-annually. Minutes from these Executive Board meetings will be made available to all members in good standing and reported out at the next general business meeting.
Article IV - Chapter Officers, Executive Board and Elections
A. Officers and Elections
I. Officers: The club will elect the following officers for a two year term under the conditions listed below; President, two Vice Presidents, Secretary and Treasurer. The President and one Vice President shall be elected in the odd years; the other Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer shall be elected in the even years.
2. Election Officer: The Executive Board shall appoint an Election Officer to conduct and oversee the next election procedure on or before Nov. 30. The Election Officer shall operate within the guidelines provided by the Executive Board. The Election Officer shall maintain the privacy and integrity of all assigned duties.
3. Nominations: The Election Officer shall mail; via US Mail or email, a "call for nominations" to all members in good standing for all offices to be elected in the upcoming year on or before Dec. 15. This notice will include the offices to be elected, the dates and terms of the upcoming election and a statement that the election will be by ballots voting for a simple majority. Nominations may be sent in writing to the club address of record, postmarked no later than Dec. 31, or in person at the January general Business Meeting. Qualified nominees, as determined by APHC-Bylaws and/or Executive Board, shall be placed on the ballot.
4. Elections: The Election Officer shall mail, via US Mail, or email, to email addresses register with the Club, ballots to all members in good standing on or before Jan. 31. A single membership shall receive one ballot and a family membership shall receive up to two ballots. Each ballot shall include the name of the member for whom it is intended. The ballot will include all offices to be elected and all qualified nominees for each office. It shall also contain the name of the Election Officer and an address to where they can be mailed. All mailed ballots must be received by the Election Officer postmarked no later than Feb. 28. Ballots may also be delivered directly to the Election Officer in person at the March general Business Meeting. At the election meeting a membership list will be marked with mail and email votes already received so in-person votes will not be duplicated. Final results of the election shall be tabulated before the end of the March Business Meeting and announced at that time. The Election Officer shall then seal all ballots to be maintained for 30 days and then destroyed in accordance with the election Officer duties in A.2.
B. Executive Board: The Executive Board will consist of the Club President, two Vice- Presidents, Secretary, Treasurer, and all Founders. The Executive Board will be responsible for insuring all club activities are conducted within the guidelines of Parrot Head in Paradise Inc. and the Club Statement of Purpose as outlined in Article I-B. The board will be empowered to make decisions between business meetings to insure these goals are met. All decisions will be by consensus, with each member having one vote. The Founder may serve as a tie breaker if consensus cannot be reached. Any and all Board decisions will be reported at the next general business meeting. The Board will act on recommendations received from the general membership at the general business meetings and forward projects/concepts to the general membership at the general business meetings. The Treasurer shall be appointed as a member of the Executive Board by majority vote of the remaining members of the Executive Board to a one year term commencing January I of each year. All votes of the Executive Board are subject to an 80% quorum of the Executive Board.
C. Responsibilities of Officers:
President: The President shall a. Have such powers and duties as are usually exercised by such an office. b. Be Executive Officer of the Club and preside at all general business meetings, special meetings, and meeting of the Executive Board. c. Assign the individual responsibilities of the Vice Presidents. d. Work with Committee Chairpersons and Vice Presidents in order to help insure all assigned tasks are completed in a timely manner. e. Have the power to call Special Meetings of the Club and the Executive Board. f. Appoint, subject to the approval of the Executive Board, and except as provided elsewhere in these bylaws, members to the Standing and Special Committees, including vacancies. g. Deal with other matters as may be placed in his or her charge by the Executive Committee or membership. h. Deal with and try to resolve complaints and issues within the Club and with PHiP. i. Serve as liaison with PHiP or designate this role to another member of the Executive Board on a case by case basis.
Vice Presidents: The Vice Presidents shall a. In the absence of the President have the powers and duties of the President. b. Serve as Liaison with other parrot head clubs and Acadiana PHC committees. c. Serve as member of Ticket Committee. d. Deal with other matters and or powers that are delegated to the position by the President or the Executive Board. e. Work: to insure all PHiP/local charity guidelines are met.
Secretary: the Secretary shall: a. Ensure that minutes are recorded at all business and Executive Board meetings. b. Perform other duties as designated by the President and Executive Board. c. The Secretary will post the minutes from the monthly General Business Meeting via group email list (or other standard email distribution method) within fourteen days of the meeting. Copies will also be available upon request of any member in good standing via individual email or USPS mail if requested with a SASE to the secretary of record.
Treasurer: The Treasurer shall a. Record and keep track of all financial functions and transactions. b. Balance account, issue checks for all charities and expenditures, based on receipts supplied. c. Other duties as designated by the President and Executive Board.
D. Eligibility Requirements: All Officers/Executive Board Members shall be members in good standing for a period of no less than one year prior to nomination/appointment
E. Vacancies: Vacancies in all positions can be created by resignation, abandonment of duties (as further defined), or by violation of any articles of the by-laws. A position shall be defined as abandoned if the officer is absent from all business meetings without just cause for a period of three consecutive months. Persons filling vacated positions shall be appointed for the duration of the term by a majority vote of the Executive Board.
F. Abandonment and just cause will be determined by a unanimous vote of all Board Members and Founders.
Article V - Committees
A. General: The following standing committees are established in order to maximize involvement and participation of the Club members. Web Page, Newsletter, Events, Merchandise, Membership. Other special committees may be established by the President, Executive Board and/or general membership to deal with specific projects.
B. Committee Roles: The purpose of all committees is to ensure that day to day functions and special events are completed in a timely manner. To this end the committees, working under a Chairperson, are given the detailed responsibility of specific events and activities. The committees are expected to work: closely with the Executive Board on all projects/events. They are also required to keep the President and Board informed of all plans and progress.
1. Web Page - Maintain and keep Club Internet Web Site current
2. Newsletter-Ensure the Club newsletter is published at least four times a year, normally January, April, July and October delivery.
3. Membership - Ensure that there is an active recruiting program for new members and renewals within the Acadiana PHC. Work with Treasurer to ensure membership lists are accurate and renewals are sent out on time. Maintain membership roles and renewals, and communicate all changes to the Executive Board on a monthly basis.
4. Merchandise - Maintain an adequate supply of club merchandise with proceeds going toward funding Acadiana PHC events.
5. Events: Coordinate schedule of all club social and charitable activities and communicate to the Executive Board on a monthly basis.
Article VI – Miscellaneous
A. Adoption of Bylaws: These bylaws have been approved by a majority of members in good standing at a general business meeting. Future modifications/amendments to the bylaws will be researched and proposed by a specially appointed Committee. Approval of changes shall be accomplished according to procedures as described in Article IV.A. and included as a referendum on the election ballot.
B. Infractions of Bylaws:
1. Any current Acadiana PHC member may submit in writing only (signed, dated and clearly written), within 30 days of the occurrence of the stated infraction/s, to the Acadiana PHC Executive Board, a detailed statement regarding the alleged infraction/s of the Acadiana PHC By-Laws, by any other current Acadiana PHC member.
2. The Board will inform, by letter, the Acadiana PHC member of the alleged infraction/s against them, along with the name of the member who has submitted the infraction. The member will be given 30 days to provide a written response to the Board. If the member chooses not to respond within 30 days, the Board will move forward to a decision without the member's input
3. At the next scheduled Acadiana PHC Executive Board meeting, after the 30 day deadline, the Board will evaluate the alleged infraction/s and make one of the following decisions: A. No Action - The alleged infraction has been considered by the Board and the Board will take no action. B. Action - The alleged infraction has been considered by the Board and action is being taken as determined by a unanimous decision of the Executive Board. The specific action is entirely left to the discretion of the Executive Board and is to be based only upon the stated infraction.
4. If action is taken against an Acadiana PHC member for an infraction/s of the Acadiana PRC ByLaws, the member will be informed in writing within 30 days of the Acadiana PHC Executive Board's decision. The member who submitted the original statement of alleged infraction/s shall be provided with a copy of the Board's decision.
5. The Executive Board may suspend from Acadiana PHC any member whom the entire Executive Board determines no longer meets the requirements for membership set forth in Article II of these By-Laws and/or "Code of Conduct". The vote suspends such member's membership in Acadiana PHC and all rights and privileges associated therewith. Any member that is suspended will not receive any refund of annual dues. This must be done by a unanimous vote.
6. At the next scheduled Acadiana PHC meeting, the membership shall be informed of the decision, and the information will be properly recorded in the minutes.
7. Acadiana PHC Executive Board decisions are considered final.
C. Acadiana PRC Concert Point System: The point year will run from the first event after the local Jimmy Buffett concert until the points are due for ticket purchase. No more than 2 tickets per member household will be available to the highest earners. This figure may be adjusted by the Executive Board based on ticket availability. Ties may be broken by lottery. All qualified members will be given a deadline for purchase of these tickets. If that deadline passes the opportunity to purchase will go to the member with the next highest total. All points will be awarded as per the following schedule subject to approval by the Executive Board:
1. Officers/Committee Chairs: 10 pts (including newsletter editor);
2. Organize Charity Event: 5 pts;
3. Actively serve on any Committee: 5 pts;
4. Participate in charity function, community projects, assist in planning/running happy hours: 3pts;
5. Special Contributions/Projects (e.g. write newsletter article, attend general business meeting, and contribute prizes): 2pts.
6. Additional points may be issued for other activities as determined by the Executive Board.
D. Altruism: Events and/or activities sponsored by the Acadiana PRC will have a portion of the proceeds raised donated to a designated charity. The club will donate time and/or money to at least one local charity each year. The club will be involved in at least one environmental cause a year. The Events Committee has the responsibility to make recommendations to the general membership as to which charities to support. Individuals may also recommend charities and should do so through the Events Committee.
E. Acadiana PHC Expenditures/Reimbursements/Budgets: Acadiana PRC members wishing to be reimbursed or approved for expenditures for Acadiana PRC related activities such as, but not limited to; construction materials, necessary supplies for official club events, other official and/or club sponsored functions, prior to spending monies shall:
Obtain approval, in writing, from any executive board member for expenditures not to exceed $50.00.
Obtain approval, in writing, from the executive board for expenditures of $50.01 to $999.99
Obtain approval, in writing, from the executive board for expenditures of $1 000.00 or more and, in addition, expenditures of$1000.00 or more shall not be approved by the executive board without first obtaining a vote of approval from the membership at a general business meeting.
To obtain reimbursement, the member shall submit the written approval along with the receipts to the Treasurer. Reimbursement requests submitted after the adoption of this subsection will not be granted without meeting all of the requirements of this subsection. No exceptions. Acadiana PRC members who anticipate incurring expenses for club related activities should (after obtaining proper Board approval) seek to have the company invoice the club directly for the amount due. If this is not possible, then submit the receipts to the Treasurer as indicated in the last paragraph.
End of Document July 2011
"CODE OF CONDUCT"
It is the intention of the "Acadiana PHC" (APHC) to provide social and charitable activities for the enjoyment and benefit of all our members, guests, hosts and charities. All members of the organization shall be required to treat fellow members, guests and hosts and their personal property with respect. Members also agree to abide by all local, state and federal laws (including but not limited to) governing misuse of personal privileges, personal property and controlled substances.
Members of the APHC, by virtue of their membership agreement, agree to demonstrate personal responsibility for their words, actions and deeds and not to exhibit behaviors that are harmful to themselves and other members, guests and hosts or their personal property. We seek to provide a pleasant atmosphere in which to share our common love of the music and tales of Jimmy Buffett and to further the charitable ideals that we seek to uphold.
APHC will not condone behavior contrary to our objectives nor that which we feel is harmful or injurious to others. By virtue of your membership in the "Acadiana PHC" you have indeed agreed to "Party with a Purpose" in a most responsible fashion!